The EU Health Governance Network, a new initiative by the University Association for Contemporary European Studies, has kindly asked us to circulate this call for abstract.
Call for abstracts – UACES 2021 Panel on health governance in the EU
We warmly invite submission of abstracts on the theme of Health Governance in the European Union, to join our panel(s) at the upcoming UACES (University Association for Contemporary European Studies) conference. The conference is expected to take place in hybrid format and virtual participation will be possible.
The panel will explore all areas of EU health law and policy, including but not limited to:
• The EU’s response to the COVID-19 pandemic and subsequent changes to the health governance framework (European Health Union, proposals for a strengthened health security framework, etc.)
• Public health, health determinants and health inequalities in and across member states
• The role of European actors – the Commission, the Parliament, the agencies, WHO Europe etc. – in health and health governance
• The impact of the single market upon health systems, for example via competition law, pharmaceutical regulation, migration of health professionals, trade…
• The inclusion of health in broader governance frameworks such as the European Semester, the Pillar of Social Rights, Europe 2020…
As part of our new UACES research network on EU Health Governance, we are delighted to offer subsidised participation at the conference for one early-career presenter. This funding will cover the conference fee and, in the event that in-person elements of the conference are able to take place, subsidise travel and accommodation costs. The maximum value of the subsidy is £300. Presenters within three years of completion of their PhD are eligible; please indicate in your submission if you would like to be considered for this funding.
We welcome papers from all disciplines, including law, public policy, sociology, economics, public health, global health etc., pertaining to any dimension of EU health governance. If you are planning to submit a paper on a topic related to the above, and are interested in doing so as part of a pre-formed panel, please contact email@example.com by Monday 22 February. We will select from these and confirm inclusion by Wednesday 24 February, so that any unsuccessful submissions can be sent to the general call ahead of the 28 February deadline. For inclusion please send:
• Paper title and abstract of no more than 400 words
• Full name, email address and institution/organisation of all authors
• Indication of eligibility for the early-career conference subsidy
With kind regards,
Coordinators of the EUHealthGov network
Eleanor Brooks (Social and Political Science, University of Edinburgh) firstname.lastname@example.org
Charlotte Godziewski (Department of Sociology, Aston University) email@example.com
Mary Guy (Law School, Lancaster University) firstname.lastname@example.org